- Reviews are also available on the ARRL Members Only Web site
Looking Back at the Omni VI+
- to key sidetone only without RF, push ST followed by CW. To exit, push ST again
- Close-Up of Manual p3 with filter installation info
- Adding a 9MHz I.F. Output for use with a Panadapter
- Homebrew 301 Remote Encoder by KG5U
- Aux Antenna Comments by W4PA
- 40M disappears after one hour repair advice
- Logic Board connectors 34/41 - conn plug 34 is displaced toward connector 41 leaving the extra (open) header pin toward the rear
The Omni VI+ was sold from 1997 till February 2002, with last production in August 2001.
- Modes: USB, LSB, FSK or AFSK, FM
- Frequency Range: All ham bands 160 through 10 meters. Twelve 500 KHz segments with 30 KHz overshoot at upper and lower band edges.
- Display: 7 digit to 10 Hz resolution, 0.56" LED, 2 secondary 0.3" displays for clock, memory chanhel and offset.
- Frequency Control: LO generated with a crystal oscillator mixed with a low noise 4.97 - 5.53 MHz phase locked loop.
- Dual VFO's with SPLIT mode.
- Offset Tuning: +/- 9.99 KHz receive and transmit,
- Memories: 100 duplex memories, one scratch pad memory, battery back-up (2 - 3 year life).
- PC Interface: Serial port operation of receive and transmit. Includes two line and RS-232 interface. Runs at 1200, 2400, 4800, 9600, or 19200 baud.
- Frequency Accuracy: +/- 50 Hz @ 25 degrees C.
- Antenna: 50 ohm unbalanced.
- Remote Band Switching: Selects antenna or other station accessories.
- Power Required: 2 A receive, 20 A transmit @ 12-15 VDC.
- Construction: 20 epoxy glass PC boards, most field replaceable. Extruded aluminum front panel, alumninum chassis, texture painted top & bottom, snap up stainless stell bail.
- Dimensions: HWD 5.75" x 14.75" x 17" - 14.6 x 37.5 x 43.2 cm.
- Weight: 16 lbs - 7.25 kg.
- RF Output: 0 - 100 watts, ALC stablilized.
- DC Input: Maximum 250 watts @ 14VDC. 100% duty cycle for up to 20 minutes. Continuous duty with customer supplied air cooling of rear panel heat sink.
- Microphone Input: 200 - 50K ohms, accepts microphones with 5 mV (-62dB) output. Polarizing voltage provided for electrets.
- Speech Processor: Adjustable compression level.
- T/R Switching: PTT or VOX on SSB, switchable FAST or SLOW QSK on CW, delay on SLOW is adjustable.
- Iambic Keyer: Adjustable 10 - 60 WPM, type A or B, weight adjustable from keypad.
- CW Offset: Programmable 400 - 990 Hz, DSP generated, sidetone automatically matches offset, volume adjustable independent of AF gain control.
- FSK Shift: 170 Hz.
- FM Deviation: +/- 5 KHz.
- Metering: Switchable to forward power, SWR, collector current or audio processing level on SSB.
- SSB Generation: Balanced modulator followed by 9 MHz, 8 pole crystal ladder filter.
- Carrier Suppression: 60 dB typical.
- Unwanted Sideband Suppression:60 dB typical at 1.5 KHz tone.
- Third Order Intermod:30 dB below two tone at 100 watts PEP.
- Spurious Output: Better than 45 dB below peak power output.
- Sensitivity: 0.16 uV for 10 dB signal to noise ratio at 2.4 KHz bandwidth. In FM, 0.35 uV for 12 dB SINAD at 15 KHz bandwidth.
- Selectivity: Standard 16 pole filter, 20 to 24 poles cascaded depending on options selected:
|Filter Combination||Typical System Bandwidth||Shape Factor|
|9 MHz IF||PBT IF||@ -6 dB||@ -60 dB|
|2.4 kHz||2.4 kHz||2.4 kHz||3.20 kHz||1.30|
|2.4 kHz||1.8 KHz*||1.8 KHz||2.70 KHz||1.50|
|2.4 kHz||500 Hz*||500 Hz||1.30 KHz||2.60|
|2.4 kHz||250 Hz*||250 Hz||850 Hz||3.40|
|1.8 kHz*||1.8 kHz*||1.7 kHz||2.4 kHz||1.40|
|500 Hz*||500 Hz*||350 Hz||900 Hz||2.60|
|250 Hz*||250 Hz*||190 Hz||550 Hz||2.90|
|* Optional filter is required.|
- Dynamic Range: 97 dB @ 2.4 kHz bandwidth at 20 KHz spacing, 100 dB+ with CW filters.
- Third Order Intercept: +10 dBm
- Noise Floor: -133 dBm @ 2.4 kHz bandwidth.
- Phase Noise: -122 dBc @ 1 kHz, -138dBc @ 20 KHz.
- S-Meter: Calibrated to 50 uV at S9.
- Attenuator: -20 dB.
- Passband Tuning: +/- 1.5 kHz.
- I-F Frequencies: 1st I-F 9 MHz, 2nd I-F 6.3 MHz, 2nd I-F for FM 455 kHz.
- Noise Blanker: adjustable threshold.
- DSP Noise Reduction: auto-correlation type algorithm. Broadband noise reduction of 5 to 15 dB is typical depending on conditions.
- Automatic DSP Notch Filter: Eliminates multiple heterodynes, notch depth automatically selected for each.
- Manual Notch Filter: 250 Hz to 2.5 kHz, greater than 50 dB.
- Receive Recovery Time: less than 20 ms, including split mode.
- Squelch Sensitivity: Less than 0.6 uV
- Image Rejection: >90 dB.
- Audio: 1.5 watts @ 4 ohms with less than 2% distortion, built-in speaker, separate fixed output 1 mw @ 600 ohms.
- Separate RX Antenna Input: 50 ohm phono jack, front panel selectable.